Monday, February 11, 2013

IN THE DRIVER’S SEAT (2)

I attended the five-hour Highway Code class last Saturday. It was conducted in Bahasa Malaysia.
The supervisor from the driving school told me that English classes are held on Sundays. There was no class last Sunday because it was a public holiday.
I was asked if I want to attend this Sunday’s class but I will be away in Kedah for the NSTP-Media Prima & IJN medical outreach programme.
So I chose to go for the Saturday class instead. If not, I would have to wait for the following Sunday to attend the class.
This is the first of two theory classes that I will have to attend before I am issued the “L” licence. The other will be a six-hour maintenance course.
Earlier, a staff of the driving school called me to confirm my attendance to the class. She reminded that I need to “pakai baju sopan.” She didn’t tell me anything about footwear.
I wore sandals bbut before class started she lent me a pair of “kasut yang bertutup”.
Nanti kalau JPJ datang check, dia akan suruh kakak keluar sebab tidak menepati syarat hadir ke kelas,” she told me. No JPJ officials came to check on the class. If not, some girls would have to leave class because they too were wearing sandals.
Before going into class, candidates had to have to their right thumb print scanned. We had to do the same after class ended.
In class, I was given an English manual. I had asked for it.
Class was from 9.30am to 3.30pm, with a 30 minute morning and lunch breaks.
I thought I would easily be the oldest candidate in the class but there was someone much older than me. “Saya … saya,” she said, hands in the air when the trainer asked for candidates to introduce themselves.
Nama saya Hasnah … Makcik Hasnah, umur 63 tahun,” she said to the cheers of some 60-odd candidates in the class.
She signed up for both the motorcycle and car driving classes. “Saya takut sebenarnya … saya pernah masuk longkang masa bawa motor,” she told the class. “Saya jerit minta tolong dari dalam longkang tu. Orang datang tolong saya,” she said.
To tell you the truth, we could all do without the class. The girl sitting next to me shook her head countless times as we listened to the trainer’s nonsensical ramblings.
It was to me a total waste of time. We were better off learning the Highway Code by ourselves.
The trainer spent the first three hours of the period sharing his experience about driving and teaching people how to drive. He also got some of the candidates to share their experiences. One student actually slept through the class.
It was the last hour or so that we went through the Drivers Education Curriculum (DEC) book.
Earlier when introducing the book, he told us jokingly to “Balik rumah, rebus buku ni, minum airnya.” We were asked to turn to certain pages, underline a word or a sentence, because these were some of the parts “yang akan keluar semasa ujian nanti,” he said.
I seriously do not see the necessity of having to sit for the class. And if indeed there is a need for one, RTD should constantly drop into the class to see whether the so called syllabus is covered.
Before class ended, we had to inform the staff of the driving school on our chosen date to attend the test.
I signed up for the test on February 19. 

- to be continued

No comments: