Friday, March 22, 2013

IN THE DRIVER’S SEAT (3)

I took a longer time than expected to sit for the RTD Highway Code computerized test. I had originally signed up for the test on February 19 but had to forgo it due to some unforeseen circumstances.
I finally sat for the first test last Wednesday.
First, you asked?
Yes, Wednesday was the first. I had to re-sit for the test today because I failed the first sitting; scoring 39 out of 50 questions, three marks off the passing mark of 42.
When I first called the driving school for a new date for the test, I was asked if I still remember the dress code.
What is it with these people and the dress code, I asked myself.
I was told of the dress code on the first day I signed up for the driving lessons. I was again reminded of it at the HighwayCode class.
At the centre on Wednesday, the woman manning the centre pointed out to my shoes.
I wasn’t wearing sandals or slippers. It was an open-toed pair of shoes. No, not exactly opened but peep-toed. I asked what was wrong with a little opening in the front of my shoes.
Nanti kalau JPJ datang, awak explain sama dia,” the woman said as I coaxed her into allowing me to sit for the test.
Ada pernah mereka datang?” I asked her. “Belum pernah lagi,” she said. I guess if I was unlucky, the officer would just make his sudden appearance there. Well, he didn’t. I had to pay RM30 for rescheduling the test.
Seriously, it baffles the mind as to why JPJ has this ruling on footwear. I see many drivers and motorcylists wearing sandals and slippers while driving. In fact, there are those that I know who drove their cars barefooted.
Candidates were given one hour to complete the test. I took about 17 minutes and five seconds to complete it.
I passed the colour blind test, where questions also include on the alphabet and numbers.
In part two of the test, I had to answer 50 questions, which were segmented into three sections. I scored 12/15 in Section A (on road signages), 19/25 in Section B (on-the-road and car knowledge) and 8/10 in Section C (RTD Act and Kejara system).
I did the test in 17 minutes and five seconds. I was actually given an hour to do it.
The problem with me (similar to when I was in school before) was that I didn’t revise the questions once I have answered it although I was given the opportunity to do so. I could have gotten through if I had changed some of the answers to the questions I wasn’t sure of. I pressed the"Result" button instead.
I finished the second test today it in 25 minutes and 37 seconds. I would have clocked out earlier but I revised the questions again, changing the answers to three questions which I wasn't sure of.
This time around, I only made five mistakes scoring 45 out of the 50 questions.
Seriously I think the RTD should relook at the questions. I saw that the list hadn't been updated since a few years ago (2006 or 2008, I couldn't remember).
There was one funny question, which I got in both sittings, only the objective answers were different.
The question was on negative stress. In the first test, I was asked to pick one asnwer from the four given: 1) getting engaged 2)getting married 3) getting divorced . I can't remember the last objective answer given. Obviously the answer was number 3.
In the second test, I got the same question; only this time instead of "getting divorced", the correct answer was "failing this test".
I laughed aloud when I saw the question and the answers given.
Who ever set the question and answers has a sense of humour.
Next in the schedule would be another mandatory course. This time, it will be the five-year maintenance course before I get my Learner’s licence.
A friend of mine couldn’t understand why I have to go through the Highway Code class and test and the maintenance course. “I don’t even change a flat tyre on my own. I have AAM to do that for me. You should too when you’re a car owner,” he said.
Some felt that the Highway Code test and the classes were aimed at making it difficult for new drivers to get their licence.

No comments: